2015年7月12日星期日

The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera

Yesterday, I went to New York to see The Phantom of the Opera, Broadway’s longest running musical. I did cherish this chance as several days ago in order to get the ticket my colleagues and I stood for an hour to sign up. And after seeing the opera, I think it deserves to represent Broadway’s best opera for its moving story, fantastic effect of stage and fair-sounding song.

Indeed, it is one of the most impressive love story I have ever known, and the other is Titanic. Three days ago, in the class I observed, the instructor asked us what was love. All of us believed love was devotion. Accordingly, in the opera, the definition of love was illustrated by Phantom, who loved Christine in despair and violence and finally gave her up to aid in carrying out the good designs of Christine and her true love. In the end of opera,when only a mask was left on the chair, I shed my tears like beans.

Besides, I was astounded by the magnificent magic effect of the stage. For instance, when Raoul suddenly jumped into the cellar, I really worried about his safety even though I knew there was no need for me to do so. In addition, the candles and the mist, the mask and stairs attracted me and led me to a mysterious world.
The best factor of opera, of course, is the song itself. “A world with no more night. And you are always beside me to hold me and to hide me. Then say you'll share with me. Let me lead you from your solitude. Say you need me with you here, beside you. Anywhere you go let me go too. That's all I ask of you......” Until now, the song of The Phantom of the Opera still echo in my mind.

Sine all my colleagues and I were so deeply attracted by the opera, it could not be considered only entertainment. Instead, it is also the respectable representative of American culture and art, which will always remind us of our wonderful cultural tour in America.


2 条评论:

  1. "I shed my tears like beans" is an expression I hope to use in the future...I have never heard this but it is just the perfect use of words.

    回复删除
  2. Dear Carrie, thank you for your comment. I learned "tears like beans" in Six Chapters of Floating Life , written by Shen Fu in Qing Dynasty and translated by Lin Yutang:)

    回复删除